Monday, November 19, 2007

Meridia in the News and Dad's Cancer

Just wanted to write about what I heard on the news the other night. They were saying that Meridia does not help people loss weight and the damage that it could do to the brain could be bad. This is what the study says:
Three diet drugs, one of which still hasn't been approved for use in the United States, will assist in weight loss, Canadian researchers report, but there can be serious side effects and the weight loss isn't all that great.

According to the Associated Press, the report, published in the latest issue of the British Medical Journal, found that people who took the prescription drugs Xenical, Meridia and Acomplia (Acomplia is not sold in the United States) registered lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels and reduced diabetes. For the 45 to 50-year-old study group, which had an average weight of 220 pounds, weight loss registered a little less than 11 pounds per person.

About 20 percent of those who took Meridia experienced side effects that included raised blood pressure and pulse rates, insomnia and nausea, the A.P. reported. Up to 30 percent of those who took Xenical had side effects that included unpleasant digestive and intestinal side effects.

About six percent of those who took Acomplia experienced mood disorders, a primary reason the drug didn't receive FDA approval, the wire service reported.

I need to contact someone and let them know that I am having very different results. I started taking the pills again last month. I did only lose 3 lbs. in a month but the results are deceptive. The week before I weighed in, I had ate a lot of salty chinese food and I had had pizza and pop the night before. It has been a week since my weigh in and I have already lost another 3 lbs. I really feel that the pills are helping. I will prepare a midnight snack for my husband, and I will just sample a little of the cheese and summer sausage, and then find something else to snack on. I find myself eating a lot less at night. I used to want a full sandwich, chips, pop, and other bad things. One thing I really haven't done is purposely exercising. My Doctor told me if I don't start exercising, she might take me off the pills. So I now have a resistance rope in the dining room and when I am waiting for supper to cook, I do a few arm stretches and leg stretches. It is not much but it is a start. Yesterday, I sat down on the living room floor and did a few sit ups and stretches. I was able to get up of the floor with very little trouble. I almost cried. It was the first time I have been able to get up off the floor without struggling. I hope to just get better and better.
Please read my blog about the news I received today about my Dad's cancer. It was 2 years ago today, being the Monday before Thanksgiving that my mother passed away. Today I found out that my Dad is not going to be able to participate in a cancer program that could prolong his life. So he just has 8 to 14 months to live.
He wants to move down to Houston to be with his lady friend. I think it is a good idea. My brother is down there also and he can help take care of dad if or when he gets really sick. We will see what happens. I will write more on the Cancer blog I wrote about my mother.

-----

No comments: